Depending on how you calculate the due date, I am 40.2 weeks pregnant or exactly 40 weeks today.
Truth be told, I never expected to make it to my due date. I know that for many first-time moms, going over a due date is common. I’ve measured several weeks ahead in tummy height though for most of the 3rd trimester. Baby is also measuring on the larger end – estimated to be about 8.5 pounds!
So now here we are… waiting on baby girl. I’m so incredibly anxious. Every day that creeps by I worry about not being able to have a natural birth the way I’d hoped. I worry that we’ll have to induce if she stays in there much longer and that it could fail and I’ll end up with a c-section because my body just isn’t ready.
From what I’ve read, there are some real increased risks of letting a baby go to 42 weeks or longer – like increased risk of meconium aspiration. Bigger babies also have an increased risk of shoulder dystocia (a very serious obstetrical complication). Oh, and we have family coming in around the 41.5 week mark, so I feel a little bit of self-imposed pressure there to have a baby in arms by the time they arrive.
On the other hand, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) does not recommend induction for suspected macrosomia (also known as “big” baby) in large part because fetal size is very hard to predict:
“In cases of term patients with suspected fetal macrosomia, current evidence does not support early induction of labor. Results from recent reports indicate that induction of labor at least doubles the risk of cesarean delivery without reducing the risk of shoulder dystocia or newborn morbidity…” – ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 22, November 2000 issue of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
In the hope of avoiding an induction or other interventions, I’m doing everything I can think of to encourage baby to join us on her own – walking, shoveling down whole pineapples, etc. Braxton Hicks-like contractions and low back pain have really picked up recently, so I’m hopeful that means labor isn’t far off. It’s just so hard waiting.
We’re supposed to get snow tomorrow (Friday morning) and I’m hopeful that will be the boost baby needs to come out and meet her family! lol. It sounds crazy to buy into an old wives tale about stormy weather sparking labor but at this point, I’m a little desperate.
Ladies, if your baby was overdue, how long did you have to wait? How did you manage to relax? Was there any one technique you think finally kicked off labor? Share your comments here! I could use some advice! :o)